Wed 15 Jul 2020
Barrier Trials for unraced two-year-old and three-year-old horses will resume at Dundalk Stadium on Wednesday July 29
Irish Thoroughbred Marketing, with the backing of the Irish European Breeders’ Fund and the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board, is resuming Barrier Trials for unraced 2yo and 3yo horses at Dundalk Stadium on July 29th.
The Barrier Trials are being staged to meet the strong demand from overseas for quality unraced thoroughbreds and will return on the brand-new polytrack surface at Dundalk where they were first staged in 2018.
Entries opened on July 15th and will close on July 24th and the Terms & Conditions are listed on the ITM website www.itm.ie.
The Irish EBF Barrier Trials will operate under the same Covid-19 protocols in operation on regular race days at present.
ITM is very grateful to everyone who has supported the concept to date and is especially thankful to have gained the backing of the Irish EBF, the largest sponsor of racing in Ireland.
John O’Connor, Chairman of the Irish EBF, said: “Now, more than ever, the Barrier Trials will provide a valuable opportunity for the Irish bloodstock industry to showcase a proven quality product to a wider market and we are pleased to play our part by supporting them at Dundalk in July and hopefully again in August.”
Another date for the Irish EBF Barrier Trials is scheduled for August 24th, pending approval from those with whom ITM cooperates.
Fri 10 Jul 2020
(L-R) Trainer Karl Burke, Johnny Murtagh, Dermot Cantillon, Chairman of Naas Racecourse, Joe Foley Owner Ballyhane Stud, Nessa Joyce, Manager Irish EBF and trainer Kevin Ryan. Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/James Crombie
Horse Racing Ireland has today announced a number of significant changes to the conditions for the inaugural running of the Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes (Median Auction Race) at Naas Racecourse on Sunday, August 23. This new event is aimed at the progeny of sires with a median of no more than €75,000 at last year’s yearling sales.
The value of the race, which attracted an Irish record high 563 entries, has been increased from €200,000 to €320,000, making the Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes the most valuable two-year-old race that will be run in Ireland this year.
The winner will receive €150,000 and prize money will be paid to all 20 runners, with connections of the final five horses to finish each receiving €2,000. There will be a 72-hour declaration stage for the Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes and overseas-trained runners will be permitted.
Due to the unprecedented level of initial entries, a consolation race with a value of €80,000 will also now be run at Naas on the same card. The Silver Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes (Median Auction Race) will be automatically open to all those horses still entered which receive a ballot number in the Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes. A 48-hour declaration will apply and once again, overseas-trained runners will be permitted to participate. Prize money will be paid down to 10th place.
The next forfeit date for the Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes is this coming Wednesday, July 15 with a final forfeit stage on August 18. The fee for both these last two forfeits has been reduced from €500 each to €200 and €100 respectively, bringing the total cost of running down from €1500 to €800. As per the original race conditions, the final two forfeit fees (now totalling €300) will be refunded to the owners of any horses that are eliminated from the Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes if those horses are not declared in or are balloted from the Silver Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes.
Joe Foley, owner of Ballyhane Stud, said: ‘We have been thrilled with the response to the race and delighted to reward the owners and trainers who have entered with the increased prize money for the main race and with the extra race. There are some exciting two-year-olds already targeting the contest and it should be a great occasion at Naas in August.”
Jason Morris, HRI Director of Racing, said: ‘We are delighted to be able to announce a consolation race to reflect the demand for this new event, along with a doubling in the total prize money fund from the original figure of €200,000 to €400,000 between the two races, and a significant reduction in the cost of entry. HRI is very grateful to the Irish European Breeders Fund and Ballyhane Stud for their continuing support of this exciting new initiative.”
Eamonn McEvoy, General Manager of Naas Racecourse, said: “We were thrilled here at Naas Racecourse last year when it was announced that we would be hosting a €200,000 race but to actually see that rise to a €320,000 race is absolutely fantastic. Joe Foley, Nessa Joyce and the team at HRI have put great effort into making this a reality and deserve great credit. The Board at Naas Racecourse are delighted, and we look forward to hosting the richest race in Naas Racecourse’s history.”
Thu 9 Jul 2020
The British EBF support a regular feature in the European Bloodstock News showcasing the best performances by progeny of a particular British based stallion in any one month. June 2020 features HEERAAT standing at Mickley Stud.
Sun 21 Jun 2020
The British European Breeders’ Fund (British EBF) have doubled their support for domestic racing during July with over £238,000 in prize money enhancements to the sport agreed this week.
Continued collaboration with the BHA, means 103 races will be run with EBF conditions (before divisions) in July, up from 90 in June. Prize money allocations provided by the British EBF have also increased significantly according to the Class of race. Races for older horses such as the Glasgow Stakes (Listed) will benefit from up to £10,000 of extra prize money (up from £5,000 in June) while two-year-old Listed races can be run at up to £6,000 above BHA minimum value with help from the EBF.
In addition, they have extended their commitment to support divisions of any EBF confined novice or maiden races up to the end of July. To support owners further, the British EBF are sponsoring branded number cloths in all of their feature races. The money charged for this branding opportunity can be up to £500 per race with the fee split between the owners of the runners on each occasion.
The British EBF have maintained full contributions for their races in flagship meetings as well as widening their support to fillies’ handicaps and conditions races in the second month of resumption. The increase in support for July means that EBF races such as those at the Newmarket July Festival and Qatar Goodwood Festival will be run up to £10,000 in excess of minimum value.
Ed Arkell, Goodwood Racecourse commented:
“We are hugely grateful to the British EBF for their longstanding support at the Qatar Goodwood Festival. The prizemoney commitment from the British EBF, especially this year, has been key to allowing us to support prizemoney, considerably above minimum values, for a number of non-Pattern races.”
British EBF Trustee Sam Bullard commented:
“The British EBF supported races have stood out as some of the most valuable since the restart and provided a much-needed stimulus to the middle and lower Classes of races in June. We are delighted to be extending and increasing our support during July and we know that our contributions will continue to make a huge difference to purses during this challenging time for racing.”
“In addition to weight-for-age races, we are now supporting a good selection of fillies’ handicaps and some conditions races. The Fund, generated from stallion income, are very happy to be able to help Epsom and Investec run the Woodcote Conditions Stakes again this year, a race won by Champion Two-Year-Old PINATUBO in 2019.”